UPDATES - February 2021
As of 22nd March 2021 the Vonage Video API (formerly TokBox) Platform will require all customers to use TLS 1.2 and connections using TLS 1.1 will no longer be accepted.
See the following article for a list of supported TLS Cypher Suites:
As of July 31, 2018, TokBox services no longer support TLS 1.0. Most customers appear to have transitioned without incident but we are getting reports that customers using .NET 4.5 and TLS 1.2 are seeing the issues. We believe it is because TLS configuration is not being enforced.
You can force TLS on by adding this configuration in your server set up:
ServicePointManager.SecurityProtocol = SecurityProtocolType.Tls12;
This forces the use of TLS1.2 for the .NET SDK.
Please use TLS 1.2 in any applications you develop to use the OpenTok platform. We are removing support for TLS 1.0 on July 31, 2018 and any application using that protocol will stop working at that time.
PCI Security Standards Council published a helpful migration guide you may find useful: LINK.
We intend to stop supporting TLS 1.1 at some time and will update this page when a date is determined.
- If you’re using any of the supported versions of following client SDKs, your application will not be affected:
- JS SDK
- iOS SDK
- Android SDK
- Windows SDK
- Some server SDKs may have dependencies you should be aware of:
- .NET SDK - servers running with .NET v4.0 need to upgrade their .NET version to the 4.5 .NET framework or a more recent version
- Java SDK - Java 8 uses TLSv1.2 as default
- You must use Java 1.7.0_131-b31 or higher for TLS 1.1 support. For more details on TLS, SSL, and HTTPs for Java, please see the following blog from the Java Platform Group.
- Please use the latest OpenTok Java SDK as it uses async-http-client 2.x.x, which supports TLS 1.2.
- PHP SDK - PHP > 5.6 has TLSv1.2. Our PHP SDK only supports 5.6 and greater
- If you use our REST APIs, you should be aware of the libraries you are using.
Testing your application server environment
You can run below scripts on your production environment to verify successful connections:
If your server fails to establish a connection with OpenTok, you will have to update your server environment as needed.